Tuesday, June 14, 2011

And so it begins...

Yesterday I had my 30 week check up. I didn't think much of it, you know stand on the scale, pee in the cup, measure belly and heartbeat. The END right?!

Wrong.

I didn't see my typical OB because again I thought it was the same ol same ol. When she went to listen to the Doppler she immediately says oh we need to get you on a monitor.

I unfortunately know enough that I am dangerous. I am not an ob nurse and I will not pretend to try, but I am a nurse and I know that "lets get you on a monitor" is NOT normal. She goes his heart rate is a little low so we want to watch. And that was all she said. I got hooked up to a fetal monitor and was left to my own thoughts... not a good start. The nurse comes in and I ask what his heart rate is and she goes 126. To me 126 isn't terrible, but again not an OB nurse. Ryder was bouncing around and I would push my little button every time he squirmed. the nurse came back in and was like hmm lets get you some juice. Again... in my nursing world that is not a good sign either. So after an hour they check the monitor and look at all the times I pushed my button (which would tell them every time he kicked or moved) the doctor goes, well I want to get a sonogram just to check everything out. Still not helping my anxiety.
After about a 30 minute wait (still left in a room by my self with my worst case scenario thoughts) I go back to see my little man.

While we did the sono the tech had 8 tests for Ryder to pass.. from practice breaths, amniotic fluid, heart rate to things like fetal movements. The tech also checked for arrhythmias and mal formations.. but still nothing. Ryder's heart rate during the sono was ranging from 146 to 130's.. still so confused.

Finally the doctor came to talk to me and says well he passed his tests 10 out of 10. 8 from the sono and 2 from the non stress test. Your free to go. We dont know why his heart rate was so low, but he seems to be fine. Just keep an eye on his movement.

Later that night I sat down on the couch and Jared came and put his arms around me. The tears finally came and I was like Jared, Ryder scared me so much... Jared's response... "Baby, this is only the beginning. We're having a little boy and I guarantee this wont be the last time."




1 comment:

Kristin.thompson said...

yikes mamacita! i'm glad everything turned out okay!