Tuesday, January 11, 2011

It official

Well people, its official, we're PREGNANT!

Where to begin?!

We've been open to the idea of having a baby for a little while now, the questions was when!
Well God took care of that! Sunday December 12th I woke up thinking something just wasn't right. I had a couple of tell tell signs that there might just be a little bun in the oven. I had a couple of HPT under the sink for just as time as this. I took one and just laughed at the situation. I kept telling myself I was over thinking the entire situation and my mind was just playing tricks on me. Then the moment of truth. TWO PINK LINES!!! I instantly started to cry. (tears of joy of course) The first thing I could think to do was hit my knees and thank Jesus. Jared was already at church setting up so here I am pregnant and no one knows! Went to church and attempted to play it cool, just kept reminding my self to breath. Needless to say (Sorry Matthias) I didn't hear a word of the sermon, I was so overwhelmed. When we both finally got home Jared,obviously unaware of anything, being the wonderful husband he is was dying to get my car washed. Me on the other had could care less and wanted to tell him our exciting news. I had always dreamed of telling him in this cutsie way, but I knew that in this moment he just needed it straight. So I wrapped my arms around him and told him that we needed to talk. (he later told me he could hear my heart pounding)
"We're gonna have a baby"
After a while of shock and awe if you would, he finally put it all together and had the most incredible smile on his face and was completely speechless.

How we told our families:

This was an interesting dilemma, what do we do?! With Jared's family this will be their 1st grandchild, and with my family it will be the 6th. So how do we do something special that will meet each family where they're at.

The Carruths:

Jared's sister Jillian and her husband Andy are currently living in Ireland and weren't scheduled back for another couple of months, so thanks to Skype we were able to tell them right away. We told them we had their Christmas present, but it wouldn't be ready for a while so we wanted to show them what it looked like. (I had a little onsie made that says Team Carruth) So we held it up for them to see. I love my sister and brother in law dearly and they were SO excited. I can not wait to share this chapter of life with them!

For Skip, Lori and John Mark I made little onsies with puff paint that had cute sayings on them like: I love my uncle, Grandpa, I'm coming, and Coming soon August 2011. I wrapped them in different size boxes and told them it was all very similar so they had to open them at the exact same time. My precious mother in law usually takes her time with wrapping paper and makes sure not to tear it, but this time she tore into it! (later explaining she didn't want John Mark to spoil the surprise) She was the first one to open and instantly started screaming!! John Mark was next yelling "no way"! At this point my father in law Skip is still not into his and was thinking("what could they possibly have gotten us to make everyone yell") then.. he sees his, and joins in with the other two screaming. Then the hugs and tears come and it was a moment I will never forget.

This will be an incredible adventure for the Carruth family and I am truly blessed to be apart of it. Since the day Jared introduced me to them I have been a member of this family. Not Jared's wife, but Skip and Loris daughter. I praise God for my siblings and my mom and dad (in law) and I am so thankful for their love and support.

The Potts family:

Now how do you tell 6 adults and 5 children without spending tons of money and not just blurting it out?! Well when Jared and I were engaged my family all made bets on when Jared and I would "expect". So early Christmas Eve morning when we got to Dallas I snuck into the kitchen while Jared kept my parents busy in the living room and found the golden ticket! The list! We couldn't remember who was closest so we made a blank certificate (which we ended up leaving in Austin). So Plan B. We circled the winners name and wrote WINNER next to the guess. Nothing special but it did the trick. During our traditional Mexican feast all the adults were finally sitting around the table, I said hey Bubba Congratulations! He looked at me as if to say I have no idea what your talking about. I told him again Congratulations and passed him the folded piece of paper. He opened it and was in instant shock my mom sitting next to him grabs the paper and instantly starts yelling and jumping up and down. It takes a while for the information to get around the whole table but in the end everyone is laughing and smiling.

I don't know what I expected my family to be like seeing as this was the 6th addition, but they overwhelmed me. I adore my siblings and their spouses and I praise God for them daily. They have already been my biggest fans and I'm only 8 weeks in.

We wanted to keep this hush hush for awhile, only telling our families, but we were so excited. Once we saw the little heart beat 147 bpm we couldn't hold it in any longer.

My pregnancy so far has been completely text book. Every symptom that comes with your first trimester I am lucky enough to endure. Needless to say come on second trimester!


I will try and update this blog as much as I can, but I'm sure a daily record of "well still nauseous" would get rather boring. So I will update on milestones, and I want to record the good and not so good advice that comes along the way.

3 comments:

Johnson's said...

I'm so excited for you guys and can't wait for my newest neice or nephew!!! Being so far away is going to kill me....BUT, now that you are blogging it will help for sure :) Can't wait to watch you and Jared on this journey.

Nancy Potts said...

Katie & Jared, we are beyond excited to know our baby is having a baby. I cannot wait to shout it from the mountain tops, well maybe facebook, of course after you do! Baby #6 is as exciting as baby #1 so we are ready. I can see a lot of shopping trips in my future. I love you both so much.

HannahKey said...

Katie! You found out you were pregnant on MY BIRTHDAY!! Happy Birthday to me!! ;-) So happy for you guys! We look forward to the very hot summer day when Baby Carruth comes into this world! (S)he better be wearing sunscreen and shades when (s)he arrives!